Monday, November 4, 2013

Beloved consistency.

Reading a Harvard Business School case on Disney (about 13 pages of text and numerous exhibits; a tad long for a Sunday, but hey, it's homework) I just had a flash back moment while reading how W. E. Disney wanted to provide wholesome entertainement for the entire family, partly through beautifully rendered animations and stirring storytelling.
I suddenly remembered telling a friend when I was very little that if the movie began with lights over a castle, it was going to be great.
I silently willed the castle to be there every Sunday morning at the beginning of TV matinee: the only weekly opportunity for Cuban kids to watch a state-of-the-art non-Soviet animated film, if we were lucky.
Of course, with zero exposure to anything but political propaganda, my knowledge of the castle's promise was purely empirical. And yet so close to the truth!
...
There. Successful branding without advertising or other props; just consistency.
...
Do I need to mention that seeing the castle still gives me a warm fuzzy feeling?


No comments:

Post a Comment